Our planet enriches us with renewable energy, let’s take advantage of it!
The Granule Environment Forum aims to put sustainable development and control of energy demand at the heart of French priorities.
What is renewable energy?
First, there are different forms of energy, such as:
- The traditional energies: gas, oil, coal,
- Electricity from nuclear power or thermal power,
- And the renewable energy that is clean and derived from continual and inexhaustible sources offered by our planet.
What type of renewable energy?
Renewable energies are an alternative solution to be explored to replace and / or complement other traditional energizing energies.
5 types of energy are available, are the energies: solar – wind – hydro – geothermal and biomass.
Solar energy comes, as the name suggests, from the sun. This energy can be usefully converted into heat, electricity or biomass.
This energy is mainly used by industry and individuals.
It allows the development of photo voltaic knows that sunlight is transformed into electrical energy thanks to solar panels.
This energy is used to generate electricity through a generator.
Wind energy, therefore, uses the force of the wind.
Its disadvantage is that it generates an important noise nuisance.
There are also mini wind turbines for individuals. These wind turbines are placed on a roof or a slope.
Depending on the size of the wind turbine, the individual concerned may consume the electricity produced by the wind turbine or resell it to an electricity supplier.
It is a very old process that allows storing large masses of water which is then transformed into electricity. It is also called hydroelectricity.
This can be produced by hydraulic power stations fueled in part by dams.
Geothermal power plants use the heat generated by the earth’s core. The advantage of this energy is that it does not depend on climatic conditions or the seasons.
Geothermal energy comes in two forms:
- Low temperature for heating homes,
- High temperature, in which case it is a means of producing electricity.
This energy concerns wood, forest residues, organic and green waste as well as befoul or green gasoline.
This green essence is classified into two types:
- ethanol from wheat, corn, sugar beet, sugar cane and,
- Bio diesel from rapeseed, sunflower, soybean.
These befouls are often blended with conventional fuels to limit greenhouse effects.
Wood, for its part, is a fuel used since the beginning of time for heating and cooking.
Why use renewable energy?
The different fossil fuels are not renewable energies and produce a lot of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other harmful gasses like methane.
To avoid the increase in the greenhouse effect and the destruction of the ozone layer, it is possible to change our habits by using renewable energy that is less hazardous to our environment.
It also allows us to reduce the energy cost of our energy costs.
Using renewable energy at home
Pollution is less by using renewable energies instead of fossil fuels (oil, natural gas).
Therefore, you can:
- consider building an energy-saving house ,
- undertake energy-saving work in your current home,
- make insulation energy savings ,
- your produce electricity using solar or wind power,
- appeal to non energy intensive accessories such as energy saving bulbs ,
- when purchasing an appliance, it is important to read the labels corresponding to the energy class of your device,
- Use water skimmers to save water and thus reduce your consumption bill.
The list is far from exhaustive in order to make good use of renewable energy at home or for transport and consumption.