To save money, we do well to properly clean the air conditioner. Here is a simple guide to help you clean yours easily.
4 easy steps – window air conditioner filter
Regular cleaning of a window air conditioner filter during the cooling season is essential. These devices usually have a plastic filter to slide out of the house. It is located at the front, at the top, at the base or on the side.
Please read the manufacturer’s operating manual before removing the filter, as to how to proceed can differ from one device to another. On some models, you have to open the front panel to remove it.
- Open the front grille of the air conditioner.
- Remove the filter very gently – gently – to wash.
- Clean it under running tap water.
- Let it dry before putting it in place.
2 easy steps – a central air conditioner filter
The cleaning of a central air conditioner filter is a priority to ensure proper operation. The filter traps dust and other elements suspended in the air is usually found inside. It is located near the boiler, from the air duct system, in a grid or a plate.
Remove it once a month to check. Within a month of intensive use, it is covered with dirt.
- If your system is equipped with a disposable filter, simply put one nine: Check the direction of the arrows on the filter, they indicate the direction of air flow.
- If there is a reusable filter made of aluminum or plastic, remove it and wash it with a hose: allow to dry upright before replacing in the machine.
11 easy steps – CPU external air
Cleaning the outside air CPU is required once a year, before the operating season. Do it more often if you live near a dirt road or another source of dust.
- Turn off the first unit to the circuit breaker or the electric switch, not the thermostat.
- Electrical parts are, in principle, well insulated from the weather, but still, check that they are nowhere exposed.
- If not, contact a technician.
- Remove the grille and the panel above the outdoor unit.
- These two elements are generally fixed with nuts easy removal with a wrench. Also, remove the cover that protects son wrapped around the device.
- It is usually attached to the base by screws or bolts.
- Then carefully wrap the fan motor and all other electrical parts exposed in garbage bags.
- Carefully remove dirt from the outer fins and coil with a stiff bristled brush.
- Using your garden hose, wet the unit from the inside to the outside, to rid the coil of grass, twigs and other debris.
- With the spray, also stray insects that can clog the air intake and damage the electronic components of your unit.
- Do not use chemical cleaners or brushes or high-pressure cleaner to avoid damaging the delicate aluminum fins.
The dirt and contaminants accumulate around the cooling elements and filters, reducing the flow of air: it forces the mechanism to work harder and use more electricity than necessary. Follow this easy guide and it will not be too demanding for you to clean your air conditioner.